Idaho Tree Farm Program
Idaho Tree Farm Committee Meeting
9:30 – 12:00, Thursday, July 16, 2015
Coeur d Alene Fire Department, Station 3
1500 N 15th St. Coeur d’Alene, ID 83814
Call to Order
ITFC Chair Funk called the meeting to order at 9:45 a.m. Those present were:
Savannah Miller, ITFC/R&A
Steve Funk, ITFC Chairman/TFOY
G. Kirk David, ITFC/Tree Farmer
Madeline David, ITFC/Tree Farmer
Robert Barkley, District II Chair/ IDL /proxy for Gina Davis
Russ Hegedus, ITFC Vice Chair/Tree Farmer
Doug Bradetich, ITFC Past Chair/ IFG /proxy for Steve Cuvaula
John Lillehaug, ITFC District III Chair
Janet Funk, TFOY
Kurt Koetter, Tree Farmer
Ray Getchius, Tree Farmer
Chris Schnepf, U of I Extension
Andy Eckberg, ITFC District I Chair
Frank Gariglio, USDA/NRCS
Excused: Gina Davis and Steve Cuvala
Unexcused: David Bummer, Don Heikkila, Steve Bloedel, and Robert Keefe
Chair Funk called the meeting at 9:45 a.m. and reviewed the anti-trust statement.
Minutes from April Meeting
Madeline moved to accept the minutes from last quarter as amended, Russ seconded the motion and it was passed unanimously.
2015 Treasurer Report / Budget Review
Past Chair Bradetich reviewed the 2015 budget as of July 9, 2015. Budget started at $7191.17 as of January 1, 2015. Current balance is $17,097.11. Motion to approve the budget accepted by Kurt Koetter, Madeline David seconded. Motion passed unanimously.
A) 2015 Required and Optional Inspections
Vice Chair Hegedus highlighted the importance of the District Chairs visiting with inspectors to complete the required inspections. One main point highlighted, was the funds from National that ITFC would receive for completing the inspections. Kirk David reminded the group that all inspections must comply with new standards and be on the new 004 form. He also emphasized the importance of inspectors to recertify according to the new standards on-line if they are able to do so, otherwise they will have to take a classroom training. Also of importance, is that 3 or 4 of the required inspections need to have inspectors reassigned before they can be completed. The District Chairs are responsible for assigning those inspections into the database. Inspectors also need to be encouraged to do optional inspections in order for ITFC to stay ahead.
- Discussion and Adoption of By-Law Changes to sections 1-5 of the By-Laws and resume revisions with number 6 (Financials).
ITFC reviewed proposed changes to sections 1-8 of the By-Laws. Madeline David moved to add a certified Idaho Master Forest Steward as a potential ITFC member and Janet Funk seconded that motion. Chair Funk called for a vote and the motion was unanimously approved. Chair Funk called for the vote that the final version of proposed changes to the By-Laws be approved as discussed, with 9 in favor. Those in favor being: Janet Funk, Frank Gariglio, Chris Schnepf, Andy Eckberg, Ray Getchius, Kurt Koetter, Madeline David, Kirk David, and Russ Hegedus. Vice Chair Hegedus moved to have a reserved vote with an extension until July 30th, and Janet Funk seconded that motion. Chair Funk called for a vote and the group unanimously approved. Those with reserved votes included absentees Gina Davis, David Brummer, Robert Keefe, Don Heikkila, and Steve Cuvala. Those who were present but still reserved were John Lillehaug and Robert Barkley.
- C) Save the Date: TFOY Tour at Oscar Baumhoff’s Property, Sept. 12th, 2015
District III Chair John Lillehaug made arrangements with TFOY Oscar Baumhoff, to visit a few specific spots on his property for the tour. Suggestion was made to rent a bus to caravan visitors around the Tree Farm, as the goal is to spend one full day on the Baumhoff property. Attendees from northern Idaho would have to find lodging (in Idaho City) for two nights. Time frame: Coffee from 7:30 a.m. to 9 a.m. Tour starts at 9:00 a.m. Idaho Tree Farm Committee will pay for the lunch which starts at noon. Decide on whether to cater the lunch or bring bagged lunches to the field site. Also porta potties would need to be provided with a wash station. Lillehaug will research and report to Chair Funk before August 1st, so that the information is available for the IFOA and Tree Farm newsletters.
- Overview from program assessment/audit/ FORI
Auditor was impressed with the assessment in both Idaho regions. There was a great overall participation from landowners and Inspectors. In regard to FORI, Inspectors will need to check with the State Historic Preservation Office (SHPO) or other websites to determine if a property is of recognized importance.
A) 501-C3 Non-profit
Chair Funk reviewed the necessity of becoming a 501-C3 and informed the group that Tom Martin offered AFF (American Forest Foundation) expertise to help with filling out paperwork. Janet Funk pointed out that a set of By-laws, guidelines, and state incorporation paperwork will all need to be attached to the application.
- B) Becoming incorporated Chair Funk will pursue ITFC becoming incorporated to protect all members’ liability.
- C) Creating an internal financial review committee Past Chair Bradetich suggested to continue going forward with 3 members who have assisted with financial review in the past, and have other members contribute and participate as necessary. The volunteer committee for this year is Past Chair Doug Bradetich, Madeline David and Andy Eckberg. The Treasurer, Administrator and Chair also contribute.
- D) ILRCC (Idaho Lands Resource Coordinating Council) – Janet Funk Janet Funk provided an overview of the discussions at the ILRCC meeting held on June 24th. Tree Farm requested IDL to help determine if there are any FORI’s in the State of Idaho.
7) Other Business:
A) Administrator work load and contracted hours Janet Funk moved that the Executive Committee review and petition SFI for more funding to pay for Admin’s hours. Kirk David seconded that motion and it was passed unanimously.
- C) Adding Jane Thornes to the Committee, PLT position Janet Funk moved to add a PLT (Project Learning Tree) position to the Committee, John Lilllehaug seconded that motion and it was approved unanimously by the group. Chair Funk may ask past TFOY Jane Thornes to be appointed to the PLT position.
- D) New District Chair Robert Barkley will be stepping down from District II Chair, but will remain as an Inspector for ITFC. New Chair will need to be elected by the 15th of December.
- E) Next Meeting: Thursday, October 15th 2015 If voting members cannot attend meetings, they need to call/email with an excused absence and plan on sending a proxy in their place.
- F) Chair Funk adjourned the meeting at 12:18 p.m.